Mr. Mike’s perfect pizza dough
I warned you this might be a rather random blog!
And so, with no further ado, I proudly present Mr. Mike’s perfect pizza dough recipe–if for no other reason than to be able to find it myself in the future!
Well…maybe just a bit more ado. I’ve tried various recipes and techniques for making pizza dough–with and without bread machines, with different flours, different yeasts, slight variations of ingredients, different mixing/resting.proofing methods, and so on down the line. This is the best I’ve managed to figure out. It makes enough dough for 2 “medium” round pizza pans.
- Combine 1 Tbsp. yeast (Fleischmann’s Traditional seems to work best for me), 2 Tsp. sugar (I’ve tried honey but sugar seems better), and 1.75 Cups slightly warm water. Let stand in warm place for 15 minutes.
- Combine 20 Oz. (4 cups) of bread flour (you want the higher gluten content of bread flour) and 2 Tsp. coarse (kosher, sea) salt.
- Add yeast mixture and 2 Tbsp. olive oil. That’s it for ingredients.
- With stand mixer on lowest setting, mix for 2 minutes.
- Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- With same mixer setting, mix for 6 minutes.
- Turn mixer up 1 level, mix 2 more minutes.
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl, cover with damp tea towel (or similar), and proof for 75-90 minutes.
And that’s that.